I struggle with clutter. I find it burdensome and read articles on how to organize and get rid of clutter. Yet the problem isn’t really the clutter, it’s my view and mindset about the stuff I have. I view it as my own, yet it really isn’t. I view it as something I may need “someday”, yet probably won’t. Sentimental items have value because we don’t want to lose the memory of the person or the feeling the item evokes. Or maybe we haven’t made time to deal with it.
As we sort, let us try to be good stewards and sell or give away useful items to those in need or charities.
Most often though, it’s our mindset of scarcity that causes us to cling to items that become clutter in our lives. We hoard things because we might need them someday. These someday items give us a sense of security. Much like the guy who stored up his stuff and then lost his life (Luke 12:16-21).
Instead, we are to lay up treasures in heaven (Matthew 6:19-20). We are to change our mindset from scarcity to abundance. For you are truly abundant in your provision.
- You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. Psalm 65:9
- The tree grew large and strong, and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. Its leaves were beautiful, its fruit abundant, and on it was food for all. Under it the wild animals found shelter, and the birds lived in its branches; from it every creature was fed. Daniel 4:11-12
- It had been planted in good soil by abundant water so that it would produce branches, bear fruit and become a splendid vine. Ezekiel 17:8
- Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before. Joel 2:23
- The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you. Deuteronomy 28:11
- You gave abundant showers, O God; you refreshed your weary inheritance. Psalm 68:9
- We celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness. Psalm 145:7
- How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you. Psalm 31:19
- And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8
- The grace of our Lord was poured out on you abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:14
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that we may have life and have it to the full. John 10:10
When we change our mindset from scarcity to abundance, we see we will have what we need or are able to go without. You know what we need and will provide it abundantly when we ask. I pray that out of your glorious riches you strengthen us with power through your Spirit in our inner being, so that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith. And I pray that we, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that we may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Let us remind ourselves that you are able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to your power that is at work within us, to You be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! (Ephesians 3:16-21)